Well if you haven't already heard from my mom's blog or all over Facebook Greg and I are ENGAGED!!!!!
We are getting married
Friday, August 7, 2009
at 11:00 in the morning, in the Salt Lake City LDS temple. We can't think of a more perfect place to start forever together!!
Alright, everyone has been asking me for the story and pictures so here it is, it is long but I want to write it all down......
The week before Valentine's Day we had gone looking at rings in Rexburg and Idaho Falls. We didn't expect to find much but thought we'd try. At our last store I found one that I just loved. I was sort of afraid to admit it though because I still wanted to look in Salt Lake the next weekend. But I felt different wearing this one than any of the others I'd tried on and I had to work really hard to hide my huge grin from Greg on the way out of the mall! We looked a little the next weekend while we were in Utah but just didn't find anything we loved. We both hard a hard time remembering exactly what the one we found in IF was like but both remembered liking it. I had plans to go to the mall with my roommate Whitney the next weekend so Greg told me to go look at it again and make sure it was exactly what I wanted, that I absolutely loved it, and wouldn't change my mind. So I did. I spent about 45 minutes in the store just staring at this ring and fell in love with it all over again. The guy who worked there, Chris, even promised a 30% discount instead of 20% but Greg had to buy it by Sunday! I didn't think that would happen so I convinced him to hold off on the discount till Tuesday. I promised him that Greg would come in and buy it eventually and begged him not to sell it. He told me that if it did sell he could probably get a new one in in about a week. I told Greg about the new deal and his deadline and he didn't seem too convinced. He said something like "these ring guys like to make every sale seem urgent so you'll buy sooner but they'll make a deal with you anytime". I was a little disappointed but still hoped that he'd want a better deal (he's a lot like my dad!) and buy it sooner.
On Sunday I went to the Celine Dion concert in Utah with my sister (pictures of that to come as soon as she mails me my camera!!!!). On Tuesday Greg told me he had bad news. He said that he called to order my ring that night but that Chris said his partner had sold it that very morning. I almost died. I was so so so sad about it. I don't know why I got so emotional but I did. Poor Greg! He told me that it would take a month to order a new one because none of the other stores had one in stock so they had to make a new one and I was devastated. In a month it would be almost time for Greg to go home for the summer and then we would only be engaged for less than 4 months. I thought my mom would flip! Honestly, I was really disappointed about it but knew it wasn't his fault and that there wasn't anything we could do about it so I tried really hard to be happy. But all I thought about was that silly ring!! It also didn't help that he brought it up every day...now I know why! ;)
I started to get a little suspicious that he was lying to me, mostly because other people told me they thought he was, but I tried so so hard to not think like that because I knew I couldn't handle getting my hopes up and being disappointed again if he really wasn't. Plus I didn't really think it was his style . I decided that even if he wasn't lying I was okay with the situation. I was bummed but I knew we would get engaged anyway and I could be patient. Once of Greg's "Life Lessons". Love those! haha However, little things like phone calls to the ring store made on his phone and the fact that he kept bringing it up and talking about the ring and calling my dad and things just didn't add up. Yet I still tried really hard not to get my hopes up again.
We had made plans for Friday night to go out to one of our favorite spots in Rexburg, the place where we first talked about getting married last December. We were going to have a "Only 1 More Month Till We Can Get Engaged" party. I made chocolate covered strawberries and got a movie and we were going to watch it on my computer in my car. Greg picked me up and we went and got something to eat at Wendy's and drove out to our spot. We ate our dinner and then I got out the strawberries. Greg said he had 2 surprises for me, one for me and one for both of us. He'd put a backpack full of stuff in my car before he came over to get me. He made me put a blanket over my head because he knew I'd cheat and when I took it off he had a dozen beautiful red roses for me. He pointed out the "lacy stuff" and made sure I knew he'd paid extra for that. I kept in on there in the vase because I thought it was cute.......
Then the second surprise was sparkling apple pomegranate cider and 2 wine glasses. We sat in the back of my car eating our chocolate covered strawberries and drinking our sparking cider out of fancy glasses and laughed about how fancy and romantic we were being. I was about to get out the movie when he told me he had another surprise for me. He covered me with the blanket again and this time I REALLY REALLY hoped it was what I wanted it to be but still tried so hard not to think about it. I heard some ruseling around and Greg said, "Okay, don't kill me" and I said "What? Why would I kill you?" and he said "Look and see". So I took the blanket off my head and there was Greg, crouched over and down on one knee in the back of my car holding a ring box with MY ring in it!! He said "Will you marry me?" and I just looked at him. That was exactly what I wanted it to be but I still couldn't believe it! I laughed and of course said YES!! We laughed for a second and then he put the ring on my finger and I stared at it and just kept laughing and trying to ask how he had that ring and trying to figure out exactly what had happened. This is me right after Greg proposed....
And us together right afterwards. The pictures were in the dark, in my car, and on a self timer so sorry they aren't very good!!

Greg explained how he'd been so paranoid it would get sold that he went down there Sunday after church to order it and have it sized. It worked out great and I had no idea because he didn't have to make an excuse to go without me and I never saw his car gone from our apartment complex for any weird, long period of time. He had hid it since Tuesday afternoon!! He thought I would snoop so he even went so far as to put it in a suitcase under his bed instead of his safe since he knew I know where the key is and that I'd look there first. He also sent pictures to his mom and erased them and called the ring store Tuesday night when he told me he did so it would show up on the call log. I'll admit, I happened to look at his pictures and texts and call log at the peak of my suspicion but I didn't go as far as to snoop in his room!! He kept talking about calling my dad because he was going to do it that week and was so nervous. He called on Friday afternoon and can't remember most of the conversation because he was so nervous. LOL But we are pretty sure my dad said yes....haha just kidding!
Greg did a great job at tricking me (just shows how much I trust him!!) and surprising me. Even though it was sort of hard I am so glad he worked so hard to make it a surprise. It made it more special for us. It was a perfect night and a wonderful moment and we are both so so happy and excited!!
This is us tonight, trying to get a better picture together. Um apparently we aren't so photogenic. We are going to have to practice that in the next 5 months!


9 comments:
All smiles! I am all giddy inside!!
Poor Greg! Dad even pulled over while he was driving to talk to him cause he didn't want to lose the signal and make the poor kid call back! He could tell he was nervous at first, but he said they had a great conversation and that he said all the right things. He loves you! That is all we needed to hear! Congratulations!!! We are so proud of you both!!
Wow Jenn I love the ring and it looks great on your finger!!! You are hard to surprise, but glad he did. Can't wait for you to come down so I can see the real thing...We are excited for you and like Kendra said,, ENJOY the time...8-7-09 is a great day..Someday when your old he can remember 7, 8, 9 but maybe not in the right order!! Love you guys!!
Congratulations, Jenny!! That is such a sweet story. Can't wait to meet Greg.
what a great story, it made me all teary-eyed. Congratulations!
hi, This is Mechelle over at Mechelle's Lens Blog. Thanks for entering my photo shoot give away. I hope you will. You two are such a cute couple!!! M
JENNI!!
OH GURL I AM SOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!! I WISH I WAS THERE TO CELEBRATE!!
I MISS YOU GUYS TONS!!
JENNI!!
OH GURL I AM SOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!! I WISH I WAS THERE TO CELEBRATE!!
I MISS YOU GUYS TONS!!
I am so happy for you Jenn! I love the Salt Lake Temple! Yippee for you and congrats, congrats, congrats!!!!
Post a Comment