Sunday, March 15, 2009

Afternoon In The ER

A couple of weeks ago I went to a dermatologist about some yucky, random acne I'd been getting.  It has been bugging me for awhile and not going away and I wanted to get rid of it before we get married.  I thought you were supposed to go through all this when you're 15!  Ugh
My doctor gave me some topical creams to put on at night and in the morning and an antibiotic to take twice a day.  He told me to call him if I started itching at all the first wee because I might be allergic to it.  He even called me last Tuesday to check on me and make sure I was feeling okay.  I was.  No itching or anything.  And the best part was I hadn't had a zit since!  
This morning I woke up and my face was all red and hot.  I figured that I was just hot when I slept and got ready for church.  During Sunday school my face started to really hurt and itch and burn.  It was awful.  I was trying to fan myself but nothing was working.  I felt like I had a fever because my face was hot but my body was cold.  In sacrament meeting (mine is last) I texted Greg (because he knows all about medical stuff and likes to diagnose me haha) what I should to.  He told me to go to the pharmacy and ask them if I should take Benadryl or something.  I didn't want to just get up in the middle of everything so I was hesitant.  But then when it took me like 5 tries to swallow the bread during the sacrament I got a little freaked out.  I told Greg and he said I needed to go.  He met me in the hallway and gave me his keys since I had gone to church with Adri. 
I went to Walgreens and explained everything to the pharmacist.  They told me that with an allergic reaction it is best to go to the emergency room just in case.  I was really, really freaked out.  I asked Greg to come with me and thank goodness he did.  There was no one there and I got right in so I didn't have a lot of time to think about it and get scared, luckily!  Then my whole body started itching.  The doctor told me that the medicine I was on, Sulfa, is a very common one for people to be allergic to.  However he said that most of them just get itchy but I got a rash, hives, and my throat and face were swollen.  He said to stop taking the medicine (duh!) and to call my doctor tomorrow.  He also gave me some allergy medicine and some steroids to take to make me feel better.   
Greg took me to the pharmacy again to pick up my medicine.  I took it and started to feel better a few hours later.  But when I got home and took my church clothes off I noticed that I had little red spots all over my arms, legs, and tummy!  It was awful for awhile until the medicine kicked in.  Greg felt bad but short of scratching my face there was nothing he could do!  haha My face is still really red and I am itchy but it is not burning anymore and most of the bumps have gone down so that is much better!   My mom wanted to see pictures.  Even though I didn't really want to put up any of my red, blotchy, no makeup, swollen face, I did.  You're welcome mom!! 

These are kind of creepy.  The remind me of the cover of Stephanie Meyer's book The Host!

I just took these so this is almost 8 hours after the ER and I am still pretty red.  But trust me, this is nothing compared to what it was earlier!!


Until about 4 hours ago my face was bright red and swollen.  It is much better now!!

Oh yeah, I also got this really cool, official emergency room bracelett!  It actually freaked me out at first because I thought they were going to keep me over night or something!  I've never had one of these for just a quick visit!  A little weird but still kind of cool!

6 comments:

Julie said...

OUCH! I am so sorry! I am allergic to Sulpha too! But, I only get hives, not the whole face thing! Glad you know that now! Don't forget to mention that when you go to Dr.s.

Grandma Joan said...

Poor kid! that is miserable. Glad you are feeling better. I guess you are more like your mom than you thought! Take care...Love You

Shannon Skalla said...

Glad you're feeling better!!!! Scary, glad Greg was there for you!!!!

The Gould Family said...

oh how scary! I'm glad you're feeling better now! Ryley had a reaction like that to her amoxicillin last week... she's finally rid of the red bumps on her legs I think... a week after stopping the medicine!

Anonymous said...

oh man. that happened to me once in high school. i had to get a shot to get the hives and swelling to go down. they also gave me an epi-pen. so cool...
i'm glad you're feeling better now. love, emily

Anonymous said...

yes jenni that is emmy who commented! i know because i was gonna hafta be the one who stabbed her with an epi-pen if it ever happened again! not cool at all...also i'm really sorry ur face got weird hahaha! love u, mandy