I love Oprah. I record her show and watch it sometimes while Greg is at school or doing homework. About a month and a half ago she had an episode that really impacted me and helped me make some major, important, life saving changes. I wanted to share what I learned and the changes I made so that people I love can be aware and make better choices behind the wheel.
I admit. I am guilty of doing just about everything while I drive. I talk on the phone, eat, and text. I thought I was "good" at it, I was a good texter, could do it without looking at the keys when I was in class....but knowing what I know now I realize I was just insanely lucky that nothing bad ever happened to me or to anyone else. I am guilty of thinking that "it won't happen to me". But it can. And honestly, there are times that it probably should have.
I was lucky.
When I was in high school a boy I knew killed an older man riding a bicycle on the street near my school. He was texting when he hit him. He spoke to the school and talked about what happened but I didn't learn my lesson, maybe I did for awhile but I forgot it.
And then I saw this episode on Oprah. (Click the link and watch it. Just an hour to save your life, your kids life, or a strangers life. It's worth it, promise.) I bawled my eyes out. Felt guilty. And stupid. And immediately signed her pledge and told everyone that I talk to on a daily basis that I no longer text or talk on the phone while I drive (without a handsfree device). That way I won't be tempted to do it because everyone knows I shouldn't be!
Watch the episode. Think about it. Click here and sign the pledge. Make your car a No Phone Zone.
You really can't do it all and the driver's seat is no place for a cell phone. ESPECIALLY for texting. You wouldn't drink and drive. You wear your seatbelt, put your kids in car seats, and make sure they buckle up. Don't waste all that effort by sending a text. It's not that important. It can wait.

1 comments:
ive been wanting to see that episode. thanks for posting the link. you made it so easy for me. such a sad thing.
Post a Comment